Skip to main content

Market Day

I am finally feeling like I am settling in. Apartment-check, Running Club-check, Farmer's market-check, Church-check. I know Holly will be sad but I even found a place to drop off my compost. I refuse to lug it back to CA just for her. I love her and all but really? So instead, at the Union Square Market on Monday, Wednesday and Friday they will take your kitchen scraps. How great is that? There was even a guy who showed me his cute little bucket and told me where to get one online. Sweet. So compost dropped I perused the market for some yummies to take home. I cant wait to have a normal fridge and stove so I can do some cooking. I mean look at his stuff. Gorgeous!!





There was even a cooking demo by Louis Shafia who was delightful. She made grilled peach and corn salad and it was DELISH!!! Check out the recipe.

Grilled Peach and Corn Salad

3 firm peaches, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
5 T olive oil plus extra for brushing the corn
2 ears of corn shucked
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
5 oz salad greens torn into bite size pieces
sea salt and pepper


Toss the peaches in 2 T olive oil and a dash of sea salt
Heat the grill over high heat and place the peaches on the grill in a single layer
Cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes then flip and cook the second side for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temp
Brush the corn lightly with olive oil and season with salt. Place the corn on the hot grill and cook for 10 minutes rotating every few minutes. Baste with olive oil 1 or 2 more times. Remove and cool to room temp.
In a large bowl, toss together the shallot, vinegar, mustard and the remaining 3 T of olive oil. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Cut the peaches rounds in half and add them to the dressing. Cut the kernals from the cob and add them to the salad. Add the lettuce greens and toss to coat with the dressing. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately.


Kids it was so good. Try it at home and send Louisa a shout out.

http://www.lucidfood.com/

Comments

Unknown said…
OMG an open market place. I am so jealous and the vegetables look fantastic. Your living the dream Michelle!!!

Popular posts from this blog

{You've come a long way, Baby}

I have been living in the Rabbit Hole for almost 2 years now. It has become my safe haven from the storm of this city. Don't get me wrong I love this city but it is nice to have a little sanctuary to retreat to when all the hustle and bustle starts to overwhelm. I love sitting at my window every morning to write and watch the parade of neighbors stroll by. I have come to "know" some of them, not personally but just by virtue of seeing them on a regular basis. But that will be another post. This is all about the Rabbit Hole. As I come up on the 2 year mark, I took a look back at where it all started. I remember walking into the apartment with my mom and my broker and falling immediately in love with this little space. I am so thankful we were able to pull off the painstaking process of actually getting the apartment. It has been such a great place to live. And there have been some changes. So here are the before and afters of the last two years.  It was so bare and crisp...

Henri Bendel

I am in Love. It happened quite suddenly although I met him years ago. We rekindled our affair on Fashion's night out a few months back and now it's official, I am head over heels. :) His name is Henri and I love everything about him. I want to be a Bendel Girl for the rest of my life. All illustrations by Izak Zenou who does Incredibly beautiful work. Oh to be THAT talented....swoon.

Panama Day 5-Howard

This was the most surreal hour and a half of the whole trip. We made our way out to Howard Air Force Base (which is no longer an AFB) and found our old house. Just looking at the photos I get emotional all over again. Not that I broke down crying or anything but it was really weird standing in a place that holds so many memories.  Here is me freaking out that we found it!!! Our old Street! Coffey Avenue! Exploring the old digs!  This stairwell led up to the door in the kitchen. It was a little creepy so I just filmed from where I was.  :-/ I don't do creepy. Here we are in front of 60A Coffey Ave!    That "hill" behind my mom seemed so much bigger when we lived there. I remember my dog running down it and tripping, which led to a head over heels tumble that still makes me laugh when I think of it. And that fence used to be a favorite spot for three toed sloths to hang out.  ...