Skip to main content

My Inner Picasso

I have been working through a book on creativity the last few months, trying to let my inner artist flourish. It had been, shall we say, closeted for a while due to too much "flat on white." I have never been one to think I was a true "artist." Yes I take photos and there is art in that, but because I do not feel "gifted" at painting or drawing I always felt a little like a fraud on the creative department. It's funny too because I do have drawings from when I was younger and I have to say I think they are pretty good, so I know the ability is in there, it just has definitely not been nurtured over the years. When I visited the Brooklyn Museum a few weeks back to see the Rockwell Exhibit, I made a point of lingering in the museum after I gorged on Rockwell and found a lovely little room to sit and relax. I called it the Mushroom Forest because of the amazing  fabric sculptures that had been created.


It was so quiet and calming that all I wanted to do was lay down in the middle of the floor and stare up at the ceiling. I decided that may not be completely appropriate (although not out of the question on future excursions) and instead strolled through the space. Here is a snippet of a video I shot. It's a little bit dizzying, but I can't wait to put some music to the whole thing.



I sat on one of the mushrooms and pulled out my sketch pad, again working through an exercise, and I began to draw. It was painful at first, but I kept encouraging my hands to play. I was immediately judging what was happening and had to remind myself that it wasn't for me to judge, it was for me to show up and try. Like I said, painful. And when one of the museum staff came over and peaked over my shoulder, I felt the need to defend my little drawing, explaining that I was a novice and just trying to get better. It was a weird mental/emotional day for me and I am still working on the process. But I think the process is worth the work.  And with these fingers, I felt like a real artist.



Amanda and I decided to paint last night. It was very spontaneous and I am glad she just jumped up  and started pulling paper out. We had such a  great time. She played music and we just painted what we were hearing. It took all the pressure off of "what should I DRAW?" We painted and talked and brainstormed and our painting took on form and direction. I ended up really liking some of the stuff I did all in the name of play.







And now I can't wait to do it again. I already want to draw and paint the dress I have hanging up in my apartment. Mission, if not accomplished, definitely on my way.

Comments

Unknown said…
Luv it! Wish we had had time to do some watercolors while you were in Florida. Maybe next time.

Popular posts from this blog

Trapeze!!!!!

I finally used the gift certificate I got for Christmas from my little sis, Jill. She and I took Trapeze lessons when she came to visit me last year and she knows how much I love it. So last week I took another class and I am kicking myself for waiting so long. It is SO DARN FUN!!!! I have learned new tricks every time and they are getting so fancy and cool. Today I was so excited to try the set split. It just looks so circusy and trapezey! I know that neither one of those are words but that is the only way to describe it. I let me camera run and got a video that ,while it is crap lighting you can see my catch on my new trick LOVE IT!  Take a look.

Me and LD back in da day

My former assistant from Quiksilver was in town this week and she crashed at my place while she was here. It was fun to catch up and have girl time. As I was archive digging tonight I ran across this gem from one of our QS Waterman shoots. We always knew how to throw a little fun into an otherwise tedious project with our Mannies, Bryan and Chad. Oh the days.

Henri Bendel

I am in Love. It happened quite suddenly although I met him years ago. We rekindled our affair on Fashion's night out a few months back and now it's official, I am head over heels. :) His name is Henri and I love everything about him. I want to be a Bendel Girl for the rest of my life. All illustrations by Izak Zenou who does Incredibly beautiful work. Oh to be THAT talented....swoon.