Skip to main content

If it Makes you Happy

Recently a friend and I were discussing relationships and having both come into our own and learned a few things over the years we of course have them all figured out. Long pause.....yeah right. But that is besides the point. I think this part we actually have a pretty good handle on. We talked about how often people get into relationships expecting the other person to “make them happy”. Or they think that “if only I am with that person I will be happy”. We concluded that really isn’t the case and it really isn’t the other person’s job to “make you happy”. I firmly believe that it is my responsibility to figure out what makes me happy so I can then communicate it to you and hopefully you will do what you can to facilitate that and vice versa. Because if I don’t even know what makes me happy, how the heck are you supposed to know? And vice versa. Here’s an example. Jane likes ice cream but she isn’t sure which flavor makes her happy but she starts dating Joe and unconsciously expects him to know what flavor makes her happy. And when he gets it for her they will live happily ever after. Do you see how ridiculous that is? I mean seriously, how is Joe supposed to know which flavor will be Jane’s favorite? He could spend weeks trying to figure that out, even years. There are 32 flavors at Baskin Robbins alone and don’t even get me started on gelato and sorbet and Haagen Daaz. So here’s my thought. Why doesn’t Jane take the time to try all the flavors and figure out for herself which one is her favorite? “Hey this cookie dough is pretty good and I like it and it makes me happy”. “MMMmmm, wow I have never tasted chocolate like that before”. You see my point? I hope so. Cause half the fun in life is figuring that stuff out, as scary and confusing as it can sometimes be. But it’s also very rewarding when you know what you like and what you want and you can communicate that to another human being and if he likes you back, he will probably do his best to take those tidbits and run with them. I have a hunch that would make Jane happy too. The beauty of it, is you can change over time. Chocolate doesn’t have to be the be all, end all of your personal favorites. Maybe Jane and Joe try Lavender Vanilla one night and lo and behold, she has a new favorite. Well that’s ok too. That is the joy in growing and changing. And for the record my favorite is Black Cherry gelato, with Vanilla Bean running a very close second.
Bisous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trapeze!!!!!

I finally used the gift certificate I got for Christmas from my little sis, Jill. She and I took Trapeze lessons when she came to visit me last year and she knows how much I love it. So last week I took another class and I am kicking myself for waiting so long. It is SO DARN FUN!!!! I have learned new tricks every time and they are getting so fancy and cool. Today I was so excited to try the set split. It just looks so circusy and trapezey! I know that neither one of those are words but that is the only way to describe it. I let me camera run and got a video that ,while it is crap lighting you can see my catch on my new trick LOVE IT!  Take a look.

Me and LD back in da day

My former assistant from Quiksilver was in town this week and she crashed at my place while she was here. It was fun to catch up and have girl time. As I was archive digging tonight I ran across this gem from one of our QS Waterman shoots. We always knew how to throw a little fun into an otherwise tedious project with our Mannies, Bryan and Chad. Oh the days.

Henri Bendel

I am in Love. It happened quite suddenly although I met him years ago. We rekindled our affair on Fashion's night out a few months back and now it's official, I am head over heels. :) His name is Henri and I love everything about him. I want to be a Bendel Girl for the rest of my life. All illustrations by Izak Zenou who does Incredibly beautiful work. Oh to be THAT talented....swoon.