Skip to main content

April Visitors Round 3

I am exhausted just recounting all the fun we had while people were in town. I didn't have many more pictures of Chanell and her gang as I did have to get some work done so most of the rest of our visiting was eating. Not a bad thing to do in New York while people are here. :) Just ask my Stepdad. So the next week my friend Matt was in town. The last 2 trips he has brought family but this time he was solo so we explored the city for 2 days while he was here. It's so funny when he is here because that guy knows way more about the city than I do and I have been here for a year. Mind you his family is from here so he has spent a lot of time in the city but still I feel a little slack when he's here.
Day One we started out with soup dumplings in Chinatown and man were they delish. I think I tortured my stepdad with the myriad of pictures of food I sent him. Cannot wait to take the rents back to that place.  Joe's Shanghai on Pell if you're interested.



From there we wandered Chinatown up to Little Italy to hit Ferrara's for a little sweet snack. Must keep our nourishment up for all the walking  you know.  Even though it was chilly I opted for gelato, cause I love it!!! And it did not disappoint.






We walked Elizabeth Street because I had been wanting to explore it and it was darling. Of course the street art is always visually stimulating and I found it synchronous that we passed a bear as I had had a dream about bears that very morning. 









We continued up to the Washington Square Park Area where Matt showed me a building that had a horrific fire back in 1911. It was the Triangle Shirtwaist Company and 146 people died. You can read about it here. The building is now part of NYU and there is a plaque on the wall to commemorate. See I told you Matt knew crazy facts about this city. 



We wandered through the East Village on our way to Midtown to stop at the Modern for a beverage. It is a lovely little restaurant that is part of the MOMA, but first we stopped off at the Seagram Building which is where Matt's dad worked back in the day. It's a splendid piece of architecture and now has  a very interesting art piece adorning the front plaza. 






We ended the day meeting Derik at Brother Jimmy's for some yummy barbeque. Full day indeed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{You've come a long way, Baby}

I have been living in the Rabbit Hole for almost 2 years now. It has become my safe haven from the storm of this city. Don't get me wrong I love this city but it is nice to have a little sanctuary to retreat to when all the hustle and bustle starts to overwhelm. I love sitting at my window every morning to write and watch the parade of neighbors stroll by. I have come to "know" some of them, not personally but just by virtue of seeing them on a regular basis. But that will be another post. This is all about the Rabbit Hole. As I come up on the 2 year mark, I took a look back at where it all started. I remember walking into the apartment with my mom and my broker and falling immediately in love with this little space. I am so thankful we were able to pull off the painstaking process of actually getting the apartment. It has been such a great place to live. And there have been some changes. So here are the before and afters of the last two years.  It was so bare and crisp...

Henri Bendel

I am in Love. It happened quite suddenly although I met him years ago. We rekindled our affair on Fashion's night out a few months back and now it's official, I am head over heels. :) His name is Henri and I love everything about him. I want to be a Bendel Girl for the rest of my life. All illustrations by Izak Zenou who does Incredibly beautiful work. Oh to be THAT talented....swoon.

Panama Day 5-Howard

This was the most surreal hour and a half of the whole trip. We made our way out to Howard Air Force Base (which is no longer an AFB) and found our old house. Just looking at the photos I get emotional all over again. Not that I broke down crying or anything but it was really weird standing in a place that holds so many memories.  Here is me freaking out that we found it!!! Our old Street! Coffey Avenue! Exploring the old digs!  This stairwell led up to the door in the kitchen. It was a little creepy so I just filmed from where I was.  :-/ I don't do creepy. Here we are in front of 60A Coffey Ave!    That "hill" behind my mom seemed so much bigger when we lived there. I remember my dog running down it and tripping, which led to a head over heels tumble that still makes me laugh when I think of it. And that fence used to be a favorite spot for three toed sloths to hang out.  ...